- Where & How do I Get the Required Funding for my next Music Project?
- So where are the Ten Places to Start?
- Final Thoughts:
Affiliate disclosure: this article contains affiliate links, so I will earn a commission when you purchase via my link at no extra cost.
As an Independent Artist, getting funding for your next Music project (Singles, EPs, Albums), could be a very daunting task if you ask me.
Statistics reveal that over 91 percent of Music artists are poor and borderline struggling to keep up with the fast-paced music industry where new trends are created on a whim!
Where & How do I Get the Required Funding for my next Music Project?
Every other day I get inundated with these queries:
- How do I raise money for my music?
- How can I attract the attention of investors to my music? and most importantly:
- Where & How do I get Funding for my next music project? 10 Places:
So where are the Ten Places to Start?
To avoid literally repeating myself over and over again, I decided to create a short guide or maybe we could call it tips on how to get the required greenbacks for your next music project.
1 – Family:
This is undoubtedly the first place anyone (regardless of endeavor); can begin his/her fund-seeking journey.
However, getting money from those old uncs, aunts, and distant cousins is never that easy.
Sadly some will even reprise the hogwash on how whack you sound as a musician, and go as far as encouraging you to take up an executive position in their moms-n-pops biz.
It is now expedient of you to prove these naysayers wrong, and the best way to make them walk back their words.
One foolproof way is consistency and zeal, not every person will resonate with your beliefs, but if you be open enough, trust me the reasonable ones (albeit few), will key into your aspirations of blowing up big time as a revered artist.
For this to occur, Just ensure you:
- Identify the relatives who identify positively with your ambitions
- Write out the names of the likely ones who can help financially
- Begin to send the right messages
Like I opined in the beginning, this is the easiest but also the most tasking especially when you go outside your nuclear family, the extended family peeps can nip your dreams in the bud even before it takes off.
2 – Crowdfunding:
Again, crowdfunding is one helluva legit funding resource artists can utilize to get funds.
But creating a crowdfunding account and getting people to donate to the upliftment of your music career is easier said than done for the following reasons:
- You must give value in return for the funds
- You must possess some kind of influence, especially on Social media
- Your music must be intended mostly for a cause (charity mostly).
Once you satisfy at least one of the aforementioned criteria, then be rest assured that you can scale things effectively up from here.
Some interesting crowdfunding sites include:
Are You an Artist?
Do you want to promote your Music?
Review your songs or Music Videos.?
We can help you do that easily and seamlessly too!
3 – Sell Merch:
Ecommerce is growing at an exponential rate, so as a musician you truly need to leverage these trends to create revenue and wealth for yourself even with zero budget.
Selling merch does not necessarily entail T-shirts only.
Trust me it can go further than that, with other regular merchandise like:
- Face caps
- Show Tickets
The most interesting thing here is that you do not require sterling tech skills to pull this off, no!
Print on Demand services abound, the amazing thing is that most of these platforms are free.
You do not require exceptional graphic design skills, but I highly recommend you hire a good graphics designer to help you with understandable and aesthetic designs that will wow your audience.
You can hire outstanding graphics persons for cheap at Fiverr Market Place for $5 to $10 a pop.
If you are so low on budget, then I suggest you try a free tool like Canva to get started.
As things progress, ensure you hire the right design persons to give your merch that bold statement it uniquely craves.
I’d recommend the following Print on Demand services:
4 – Organize a Listening Party:
Listening Parties might still require some funds and regrettably, you are on a tight budget or none at all.
This is where your grit, tact, and street cred come to play. if you understand what I mean.
Earlier this year I specifically helped an Artist to host his on a so tiny budget that to this day he finds the exercise rather confounding.
Listening Parties are great for upcoming acts still fighting to break even.
It helps an indie Artist establish his brand, and get more people to feel his musical vibes in addition to gaining the much-needed traction for any artist to receive recognition, though not enough to set you on a global scale, but should still suffice!
the good thing about this gathering is that most of your invited guests already have plans for you, and most will donate handsomely to keep you afloat, musically.
5 – Hustle for Music gigs
Getting high or even moderate-paying gigs is almost nonexistent for an independent Artist, don’t forget you are merely an upstart with zero influence and clout in the industry.
This is where your creative juices must begin to flow as a hustler trying to make a dent in the industry albeit small.
You need to develop relationships and expand your connections.
- Hang out at clubs and make friends with the DJs who play at these places
- Use the Eventsbrite website to scout for gigs within your target areas.
- Join online circles on Facebook, Telegram, etc
- Keep your ears on the ground for information by following the Twitter and Instagram handles of renowned and even lesser-known Promoters. These guys are always in the know of where the next party is happening
To make this even hassle-free, ensure you prepare a concise and straight-to-the-point music portfolio or resume; with a brief yet compact information as regards you, your brand, Music, and your genre of music.
Better still, Again, get a properly prepped-up online profile on blogs and websites, some of these promoters would want to look you up on Google.
Therefore don’t look like an amateur before your benefactors, wake up and smell the coffee
If you need a sound and amazing profile set up for you in minutes, we can help you fix one.
The profile will contain the following vital information:
- Your Quick Stats
- Accomplishments etc.
Your profile appears on Google as our site is indexed IN less than 48 hours after publication.
Get a Profile & Google Knowledge Panel
Ensure you do not miss out on great opportunities as a result of not getting your name in the biggest search Engine in the World- Google
We can help you Fix that
SEE SAMPLES OF SOME STUNNING GOOGLE INDEXED PROFILES WE CREATED FOR OTHER ARTISTS:
6 – Start a Music Blog:
While I wouldn’t stress too much about this most notably if you are not:
- A great or moderate writer
- You are running on a lean budget and obviously don’t have the funds to create a website
Though all these can be surmounted because you don’t need to be overly skilled in web technology, write like Shakespear or even have a fancy budget to start a blog.
There are tons of free tools and platforms where you can start for free and upgrade seamlessly whenever the need arises, that’s if it ever will.
- medium – a free content creation platform to write articles including videos and audio (like a podcast), for free. The other interesting thing is you also get paid for your contributions. The downside to this is that not all countries are accepted.
- Blogger owned by Google: This is where we all started and daily this platform is getting more robust. The best part- it’s free!
- wordpress.com: another free content management system (CMS), to create stunning and well-optimized blogs for free.
The only downside to using any of these platforms is that it limits your creativity.
You cannot display and sell your own merch or even expand your reach beyond a certain degree.
Many times people are banned from the platform for one policy violation or the other.
But hey! you are new so this should suffice for the time being, however, in the long run, you will need a website, hosted on your own domain and customized to your own taste.
If you need a well-optimized and seamless music website, a platform that will enable you:
- Sell and Promote your music
- Write and promote yourself as well as your brand
- Sell personalized Merch like T-shirts, hoodies, and Facecaps
- Build your personal brand
Get an Optimized Music Website in Minutes
We Understand the Importance of owning your assets, a Website being one of such
Talk to us today let’s help you create one at pocket-Friendly prices!
7 – Become a YouTuber/TikToker:
Vlogging is gradually taking over the content marketing space because video content is where the magic is happening.
Recent Surveys reveal:
- 44% of Internet users watch vlogs every single month
- The average person spends 100 minutes a day watching videos online
- 66% of business owners rank video as the most effective form of content marketing.
- 85% of businesses use video as a marketing tool.
Vlogging is simply “Video Blogging”
Many YouTubers and TikTokers are making a fortune creating amazing and useful video content online.
As an Artist, TikTok should be one of the most utilized platfTikTok.
Why? if you’d ask me
As of the time of writing this, TikTok is sitting at a whopping 800 million active users and is the most robust platform specifically armed with all the vital accouterments any artist can utilize to achieve exponential growth on the platform.
That settled, I know you will ask me the next question, which is:
How can I make Money Vlogging?
Today they are a good number of ways to earn from your video content, a few are:
- Monetizing your content with ads
- Adding Affiliate links in your YouTube video description box
- Getting brand deal with your short form Videos on TikTok
Again you will ask me- What kinda videos can I produce?:
The best and most valuable contents are primarily but not limited to those with the intent directed to solving a problem, adding value, improving the self-esteem of a person, or bringing entertainment.
Using your experience as a struggling Artist can immensely inspire, therefore, ensure you succinctly infuse your personality to give your story that authority and trust your fans wants to see.
- Showcase your creative process for making music
- Discuss the Story behind the Lyrics of your song
- Create short teasers with the lyrics of your video
- Rinse and Repeat
8 – Get Government Grants:
The allure of accessing government-approved grants for Small, Medium, and Enterprise Schemes could sound quite fanciful.
Sadly, there’s no bespoke arrangement for those within the entertainment circles that could make it easier for you to cut through the line.
However, it is still a possibility albeit slim.
I won’t say much but you can see this article for more detailed information as it concerns the topic.
9 – Save & Grow your Investment Portfolio:
This is easier said than done, it becomes a tad difficult when it can only be feasible on a long-term basis.
There are many Investment platforms currently and with Fintechs, deploying this service has become a lot easier.
From experience, I can recommend using an App like Piggyvest to start your savings and investment Journey.
With the platform, you can do so many things like:
- Save periodically for a purpose
- Join a Savings challenge where you get to earn interest that will accrue for your group saving over the stipulated savings circle
- Refer and earn a bonus of N1000 with every user you refer
- Save your monies in a dollar lock to protect your monies from incessant devaluation
Start your Savings and Investment Journey as an Artist with focus
10 – Get a Loan from a Bank/Fintechs:
Getting quick loans is snappy these days with the coming of fast lending apps.
The need to get you up to speed in no time without any inhibitions as a result of a shortage of funds or no funds makes resorting to using the services of these merchants a no-brainer.
The downside to this is that if for any reason you default. oops! the unsavory methods these companies resort to in the bid to recover bad loans can be quite unnerving.
In all these, I’d recommend just one company that is quite considerate and still put up a human face to their business is Fair Money.
- The loan Starts at N100,000
- Flexible payment option. Pay in Installments
- Get an instant Cashback of N1000 free when you use my referral link.
Get Instant Collateral Free Loans
Access Low-interest Loans of N100,000 to N1,000,000.
Get Instant cashback of N1000 for free
As an Artist having the requisite fund to invest and grow your budding career require not just hard work but lots of money as well.
The above suggestion and recommendations can make a difference if you understand the rudiments.
Notwithstanding, arming yourself with the proper information (like those contained herein); would mean the difference between an Average Artist hoping to make it big by copying trends and to Artist who knows the appropriate action to take given the situation