December is the twelfth and final month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian Calendar. It is also the last of seven months to have a length of 31 days.
Dr. Seuss said, “How did it get so late so soon? It’s night before it’s afternoon. December is here before it’s June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon.”
Shakespeare said, “How like a winter hath my absence been. From thee, the pleasure of the fleeting year! What freezings have I felt, what dark days seen. What old December’s bareness everywhere!”
Here are some things you might not have known about the month of December.
1. December is the day with the fewest daylight hours, and the summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere, the day with the most daylight hours.
2. In Catholic tradition, December is the Month of the Advent of Christ.
3. Christmas supposedly marks the birth of Jesus Christ on December 25, but there is no mention of December 25 in the Bible and most historians actually believe he was born in the spring.
4. The first official day of winter on the Northern Hemisphere is Wednesday, December 21.
5. There are 3 claimed December gemstones: zircon, tanzanite and turquoise.
6. The following celebrities have birthdays in December: Zoe Kravitz, Michael Loccisano, Britney Spears, Ozzy Osbourne, Stuart Wilson, Jay-Z, Paula Patton, Judd Apatow, Sara Bareilles, Nicki Minaj, Janelle Monae and Tyra Banks.
Do have a blissful season of love and celebration. With much love from Gbedustreet we wish you a Merry season.